Application deadline is 12 November 2020.
We are seeking multiple fellows and interns to join UN Global Pulse’s Discovery and/or Scaling teams to provide support on multiple projects related to the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some of the projects to be supported include epidemiological modelling, remote sensing analysis and infodemics monitoring.
Under the guidance of the Chief Data Scientist, the intern(s) will be responsible for:
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of AI, data science and visual analytics architectures and pipelines to analyze COVID-19-related data for supporting decision making;
- Contribute to innovative solutions that leverage design, AI and machine learning for sustainable development and humanitarian action;
- Support the engineering team to create efficient data processing pipelines that use neural network architectures and other data science methodologies;
- Support the subject experts to visualize and report data findings creatively in a variety of formats, including the design and development of interactive visualizations and dashboards;
- Review and document scientific background research on relevant topics;
- Assist the technical team and researchers in the drafting of scientific publications;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must be currently enrolled in an advanced university degree program (or the equivalent) or have graduated from such studies within three months prior to the application date of the internship. Areas of study include Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Complex Systems, Data Science, Data Visualization, Engineering, Information Design, and other related disciplines.
- Knowledge of Python, R or an equivalent programming environment is required;
- Knowledge of AI frameworks and machine learning software packages (e.g. Keras, TensorFlow, or Torch) is an asset;
- Knowledge of remote sensing, GIS, geospatial data or any other mapping techniques is an asset;
- Knowledge of digital epidemiology, modelling, and biomedical data analysis is an asset;
- Knowledge of NLP methodologies for analysing social media data and social sciences techniques around information sharing is an asset;
- Knowledge of speech-to-text AI technologies is an asset;
- Knowledge of Interactive data visualization development and information design such of D3.js, Crossfilter/dc.js, Leaflet.js, Processing.js, or a similar package is an asset;
- Knowledge of Big Data and real-time analytics technologies, Cloudera/Impala, AWS, Spark and parallel programming paradigms is an asset;
- Multidisciplinary experience in projects that integrate ICTs and social/biomedical sciences is an asset;