Deadline extended to 13 March 2020
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Pulse Lab Kampala (http://www.unglobalpulse.org/kampala) is an inter-agency initiative of the United Nations in Uganda. The first of its kind in Africa, it brings together researchers from Government, the UN, non-governmental organizations and private sector to explore the utility of new sources of digital “Big Data” (such as social media, mobile data, online information) and real-time analysis techniques for social development monitoring and program planning.
Under the guidance of UN Global Pulse senior management, the consultant will support Pulse Lab Kampala to design and build an application for tuning of the FM radio on the Android platform to support the monitoring and achievement of the Global Goals.
Specific duties include:
- Build a library to be used to build an app that tunes FM radio on Android supported on at least 3 mobile phone manufacturers;
- Design and build an application for tuning of FM radio on the Android platform that uses inbuilt FM radio chips within the phone. The Application shall be the test case for the library to confirm it works as requested;
- Extend the FM Radio Application to allow it automatically pick frequencies to tune in;
- Extend the FM Radio Application to allow it automatically upload FM Radio streams to a defined server.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field. A first level degree with an additional 2 years of experience will be accepted in lieu of an Advanced Degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years of proven software development experience with at least 3 years development experience in mobile apps inclusive of Android App development is required;
- Proven experience working with the Android SDK is required;
- Proven experience building Native Apps for Android using the Android NDK is required;
- Experience working with data streams on Android both locally and remotely through APIs such as REST and data structures such as JSON is desired;
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies is desired;
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices is desired;
- Proven ability to understand business requirements and translate them into system requirements is an asset.