Deadline: 6 August 2020
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the guidance of the Senior Programme Manager and Chief Data Scientist, the contractor will design and build back-end frameworks and associated software design paradigms for complex data analysis based on natural language processing to support the monitoring and achievement of the Global Goals.
Specific duties include:
- Develop the server-side logic as well as the development and maintenance of the central database, ensuring high responsiveness and performance to requests from the frontend;
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by a front-end developer with server-side logic;
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use;
- Optimization of applications for maximum speed and scalability;
- Implementation of security and data protection;
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions and the integration of multiple databases and data sources into a single system;
- Develop new features, identify and fix bugs, improve the user experience, and commit code as directed by the project leads;
- Tune performance and assist in scaling the data platform, including transitioning to new caching and indexing technologies like MongoDB and redis;
- Increase test coverage and performance of backend APIs and backend modules.
Qualifications and Experience
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Advanced Degree preferably in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- Two (2) additional years of relevant work experience, in combination with a relevant first level university (bachelor’s degree or equivalent), may substitute for the requirement of a master’s degree.
- Proficiency in Python is required;
- Experience working with cloud providers and products including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and others (Azure, Rackspace, etc.) is required;
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git and of main web-based security principles is an asset;
- Experience integrating diverse applications using integration frameworks, web services and APIs is an asset;
- Experience with signal processing/ speech processing and Natural Language Processing (NLP) is desired;
- Capable of deploying and maintaining software remotely on a Linux or UNIX-like server is desired;
- Experience with data management and basic visualization is an asset;
- Experience with open source technology is desired;
- Proven ability to understand business requirements and translate them into system requirements is an asset;
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently is an asset;
- Ability to interface, collaborate with technical staff and designers is an asset.