Deadline to apply: 18 August 2022
Duties and Responsibilities
In May 2022, UN Global Pulse launched its new strategy, now serving as the Secretary General’s Innovation Lab, and reframing its value-add in the context of the UN system. In light of the bold opportunities outlined within the new strategy and recent recruitments undertaken, UNGP looks to build out the Creative Communications and Design portfolio extensively over 2022-2023 and use creative practices to further drive change and support its mission of innovating for our common future.
The Creative Communications and Design portfolio will serve as a “creative studio” to not only support corporate communications but reimagine how creative and science-based communications can be applied to bridge art and organizational change. The portfolio focuses on three strategic pillars across multiple levels of the system UNGP operates, including the UNGP Network, the wider UN system, and our ecosystem of partners working to use values-based innovation approaches to catalyse collective action.
The three pillars supporting the Creative Communications and Design portfolio are:
- Demonstrate the value, lessons learned, and examples of innovation;
- Build a culture for creative communications and design to drive transformative change;
- Reimagine and experiment with how we communicate and undertake design activities.
As UNGP seeks to build out this portfolio of work over 2022-2023, it is requested that we increase resources to expand the core Creative Communications and Design team and to support wider communications needs of UNGP Finland activities and the wider UNGP network.
The role will act as a critical support function to the Creative Specialist within UN Global Pulse, supporting the on-going Creative Communications and Design strategy development, visual communications and design needs for the wider UNGP, repositioning of UNGP internally and externally, brand and visual identity development in addition to on-going culture change and capacity-building activities.
The Communications Senior Officer (Creative Strategy) supports the work of UN Global Pulse under the supervision of UNGP’s Creative Specialist and will be in close collaboration with others across the network. The Communications Senior Officer (Creative Strategy) will be responsible for the following:
Creative Communications and Design Portfolio – General Communications Support for UNGP Finland and the wider UNGP Network:
- Act as a critical collaborator and member of the Creative Communications and Design team with specific support and coordination for UN Global Finland communications activities;
- Support with the design and development of the Creative Communications and Design strategy in addition to the creation of workflows, infrastructure and processes to support a network-wide communications culture;
- Undertake research into science-based communications and innovation/design frameworks to support the governance of the portfolio;
- Support the development of communications products, including but not limited to the creation of talking points, templates, presentations, publications, graphics, stories, annual reports, and other materials;
- Support creative and innovative approaches to communicating the value-add of UNGP within the UN system in addition to making the portfolio of work more visible, accessible and actionable;
- Support the development of a creative communications culture at UNGP including the design and implementation of network-wide communications training and materials, the creation of a creative practice competency model framework, and the facilitation of workshops of UNGP colleagues and the wide UN system;
- Lead and manage UNGP’s social media platforms in addition to the development of multimedia content, and exploring new avenues and opportunities for digital content distribution;
- Support the development of methods, tools and approaches to sensemaking, learning and exploring how we can better measure the success of the Creative Communications and Design portfolio;
- Support the internal and external communication initiatives surrounding the repositioning of UN Global Pulse and the launch of the new UNGP 2022 Strategy.
Supporting Visual Communications and Art Direction for the UN Global Network:
- Support the leading of visual communications and art direction for the wider UNGP network in alignment with the Creative Communications and Design strategy;
- Support the Creative Specialist in the coordination and management of graphic designers, illustrators, artists and other consultants as needed;
- Support the reimagining and implementation of of UNGP’s brand and visual identity to better align with the new UNGP strategy and positioning;
- Support the launch and operationalization of the new UNGP brand/visual identity through the creation of guidelines, workshops and trainings for UNGP colleagues;
- Develop illustrations and visual communication products to support communicating complex ideas and the wider UNGP portfolio and programmes.
Experimenting with Novel Approaches to Strategic Communications and Design:
- Support the identification and development of experiments in the Creative Communications and Design Portfolio in addition to mapping assumptions, creating project structures and outlining the innovation process; the documentation of experiments and lessons learned;
- Undertake research into how creative practice/art and its intersections with technology and innovation, can better support organizational and culture change;
- Undertake research into creative and future-oriented methods such as narrative foresight; art in policy making, worldbuilding, speculative and critical design; and other creative areas of opportunity can support the UNGP strategy and the Secretary General’s Common Agenda;
- Undertake research into possible partnerships and collaborations within the wider UN system, academia; research institutes, community and youth-led arts institutions, design studios, and others working on future-oriented projects that emphasise creative practice and art for transformation.
Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above
Qualifications and Experience
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in communications, social sciences, politics and/or policy, design or in a field related to the post description is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) with 2 years of additional relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 (two) years of progressive experience in one or more of the following: strategic communications, innovation, design, visual communication or a related field.
- Experience in supporting innovative and science-based communications approaches, methods and tools;
- Experience in graphic design, visual communication and leading art direction for projects and publications;
- Experience and curiosity for future-oriented creative practices such as collective imagination, speculative design, worldbuilding, and design fiction;
- Experience in strategic communications and communicating complex ideas areas such as climate change, data and artificial intelligence, innovation, etc.
- Experience in developing learning and evaluation strategies for creative communications and design portfolios;
- Experience working within the United Nations or other international institutions is a plus.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an asset.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.