Deadline to apply: 5 August 2021
Duties and Responsibilities
To achieve these overall goals, the UN Global Pulse Finland is seeking an experienced Data Ecosystem Development Specialist. The primary responsibilities are developing a vision, strategy, and a roadmap for establishing back end systems and data and analytical tools for the successful delivery of the SG Lab Futures Initiative. In the context of strategic foresight the Data Ecosystem Development Specialist will work towards increasing the capacity of UN Global Pulse to act as a trusted data clearinghouse and analytics partner and a driver of data inclusion and diversity. The role will also contribute to developing collaborations across internal teams who work to bridge supply and demand in data for strategic decision-making within the UN system. More specifically, the role elaborates technical and operational requirements for the data sourcing, management, mining, and analysis to drive the work across workstreams, focusing on strategic foresight and related data and service innovation activities. Tasks include establishing a sandbox environment for rapid testing and developing data products and services in collaboration with internal and external partners.
Within a broader strategic context, the role contributes to the realization of system wide goals of the UN Secretary-General. These include those under the Secretary-General’s Data Strategy – to modernize the technological foundations for work and improve capabilities to extract more value from the UN and integrated external data sources – the Innovation strategy (forthcoming) and the Roadmap for Digital Cooperation.
The Data Ecosystem Development Specialist will work under the supervision of Programme Manager of UN Global Pulse Finland in addition to working under the substantive supervision of the Programme Manager Specialist (Focal Area Lead in Strategic Foresight) and the Big Data Engineer. The key deliverables for the role include:
- Strategic Coordination
- Technological Development and Coordination
Qualifications and Experience
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) preferably in data science, computer science, information science, computational social science.
- A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) preferably in a related field with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 7 years of experience in a technology-focused role (a CTO, technology architect or similar) is required.
- Experience in supporting organizational innovation or transformation projects through design and implementation through back end systems is required.
- At least 5 years of experience in programme, project management and/or business/ strategic development and leadership roles is required.
Desirable: (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- Experience in complex humanitarian and/or development programmes, in one or more countries at an operational level is an asset.
- Knowledge of the roles and activities of the United Nations within a complex humanitarian emergency or developmental environments is an asset.
- The ability to effectively work in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Knowledge of the UN system is an asset.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.