Deadline to apply: 9 December 2021
Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of the Discovery team, the intern will provide support on multiple projects related to the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some of the projects to be supported involve epidemiological modelling, remote sensing analysis and predictive analytics. Under the guidance of UNGP’s Researcher(s), the intern will be responsible for the following functions:
- Contributing to the design, implementation and evaluation of AI, data science and visual analytics architectures and pipelines to analyze data for supporting decision making;
- Contributing to innovative solutions that leverage design and data science methods such as mathematical modelling and machine learning for sustainable development and humanitarian action;
- Supporting the engineering team to create efficient data processing pipelines;
- Supporting subject experts to visualize and report data findings creatively in a variety of formats, including the design and development of interactive visualizations and dashboards;
- Reviewing and documenting scientific background research on relevant topics;
- Assisting the technical team and researchers in the drafting of scientific publications;
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the intern’s scope of services as above.
Qualifications and Experience
- All applicants must be enrolled in a university programme such as Bachelor, Masters or PhD. (or the equivalent) or have graduated from such studies within three (3) years prior to the application date of the internship.
- Areas of study include Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Complex Systems, Data Science, Data Visualization, Engineering, Information Design, and other related disciplines.
Internship related experience: (The following skills and experiences are desirable but not required)
- Knowledge of Python, R or an equivalent programming environment is highly desired;
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and predictive analytics methods is highly desired;
- Knowledge of applications of data science and AI for humanitarian response, sustainable development, peace and climate is an asset;
- Knowledge of digital epidemiology, modelling, and biomedical data analysis is an asset;
- Knowledge of AI frameworks and machine learning software packages (e.g. Keras, TensorFlow, or Torch) is an asset;
- Knowledge of remote sensing, GIS, geospatial data or any other mapping techniques is an asset;
- Knowledge of NLP methodologies for analysing social media data and social sciences techniques around information sharing is an asset;
- Knowledge of speech-to-text AI technologies is an asset;
- Knowledge of Interactive data visualization development and information design such of D3.js, Crossfilter/dc.js, Leaflet.js, Processing.js, or a similar package is an asset;
- Knowledge of Big Data and real-time analytics technologies, Cloudera/Impala, AWS, Spark and parallel programming paradigms is an asset;
- Multidisciplinary experience in projects that integrate ICTs and social/biomedical sciences is an asset;
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.