Deadline to apply: 21 April 2021
Note: There are two vacancies for Full Stack Web Developers open with Global Pulse (full time and part time). Candidates are encouraged to apply to both positions.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Full Stack Web Developer will work with the Global Pulse New York Lab and be responsible for developing new and maintaining existing internet-based applications, systems and other solutions while ensuring the confidentiality, availability and integrity of the project’s information assets. They must be able to work with a variety of data types, programming languages and platforms, must be comfortable with both hands-on development and research support, and must be adept at both understanding the information content of data and transforming and preparing it for analytical and reporting purposes.
The consultant will support the development of software tools across the Pulse Lab Network. Examples of similar projects to the ones the Full Stack Web Developer will support include using speech-to-text technology to support the response to the COVID-19 infodemic: https://www.unglobalpulse.org/2020/05/using-speech-to-text-technology-to-support-response-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/.
The consultant(s) will:
- Support producing regular as well as ad hoc reports around key infodemic trends;
- Develop, document, test, deploy and debug applications, software and front-end interfaces that will be used by Global Pulse and UN partners;
- Work with the team to research, use and develop tools and libraries to create solutions implemented by Global Pulse and UN partners which can support the response to COVID-19 and other crises;
- Support the identification of gaps and opportunities for improvement of existing solutions;
- Assist with the development and work with APIs for integration with various data services;
- Support the operational research team in the planning, design, development and utilization of data processing systems for development and humanitarian response;
- Assist the team to determine system requirements to meet user needs; analyze system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepare operating instructions;
- Support data security standards implementation;
- Provide support to the coordination of testing of solutions and processes by development and humanitarian partners to strengthen, adapt and improve the project’s efficiency and effectiveness;
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, Design, Data Science, International Development, Business Administration, Economics or other relevant discipline. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of work experience in big data techniques, internet technology, design or software development is required;
- Experience working in Linux type operating systems is required;
- Experience with AWS (EC2, S3, VPC, Route 53, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, IAM, etc.) is required;
- Experience developing with opensource software, libraries and frameworks is desirable;
- Experience with container (Docker) development and deployment is an asset;
- Experience with front-end development is an asset;
- Experience with various container building, deployment and automation solutions (Kubernetes, AWS ECS, AWS Fargate, Azure Kubernetes Service, HashiCorp suite, etc.) is desirable;
- Experience with Machine Learning frameworks (Tensorflow, PyTorch, FastAI, etc.) is desirable;
- Experience with system security development and implementation (risk analysis, forensic analysis, PKI, certificate management, encryption, etc.) is desirable;
- Experience in high availability server/client setup, data lakes setup, management and programming using opensource solutions (HDFS, Spark, MapReduce, Pig, Hive, HBase, Cassandra, Zookeeper, Hue, Kafka, NiFi, Zeppelin, Knox, etc.) is desirable;
- Experience with public and hybrid cloud network planning, setup, configuration, security, supervision and management with other providers (Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, IBM Bluemix, Open Stack, etc.) is desirable;
- Experience working with speech-to-text technologies and natural language processing libraries is an asset;
- Experience working in humanitarian context or international development projects is an asset.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.