Deadline to apply: 3 December 2020
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of UN Global Pulse senior management, the consultant will:
1. Conduct research and interviews with UN agency partners to generate security assessments
- Track developing threats and related risks in the duty station and region,
- Generate reports that review the impact of security factors and risk on UN and partner’s personnel premises, assets, programme design and delivery;
- Provide recommendations regarding effective risk prevention and mitigation measures, including recommendations on methods for security assessments;
- Identify various levels of risk and conduct a risk analysis,
- Advise UN Global Pulse in data analysis methods applicable in security assessments.
2. Provide technical support, guidance, and advice to UN Global Pulse
- Test the usability of UN Global Pulse developed tools to conduct substantive security assessments;
- Ensure adequate collation and verification of security information into assessments;
- Contribute to the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of security situation needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practices.
3. Support project implementation
- Oversee the deliverables of a team of field analysts and support the production of project outputs;
- Liaise and coordinate with UN Global Pulse’s partners for project implementation;
- Oversee and prepare accurate and timely reporting, collate information and prepare project reports.
- Provide inputs to conceptualize, implement, monitor and evaluate innovation projects to in support of SDG 16 – Peace, justice and strong institutions.
Qualifications and Experience
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) combined with a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience OR
- A First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) combined with a minimum of seven (9) years of relevant experience OR
- UN, military or police senior Command and Staff College qualification with command experience at a senior level with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience is required OR
- A secondary diploma with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in the security field in the context of an international organization or NGO or military/police experience, including roles in the special forces/para/commando/intelligence, with experience of independent and or ad hoc operations in the reconnaissance role
- Experience conducting security assessments as integral part of operational planning and the enabling of operations is required;
- Experience working in Mali is desired;
- Experience working with cross-cultural teams is desired;